[SoC] SVN sandbox access for the GSoC students

Wolf Bergenheim wolf+grass at bergenheim.net
Wed May 27 05:30:27 EDT 2009

On 05/27/2009 12:08 PM, andrea antonello wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Ok, Logic and reasonable. I'll use the OSGeo SVN support. Many thanks again.
>
> Honestly not sure about that. The different projects usually have
> their svns and people used to them.
> I would find it obvious to use those svns. Mentors would have less
> issues to follow progress. Does this sound reasonable?
> Pardon me if I didn't get the point.

This is only for some projects who cannot or will not give svn write
access to their primary svn tree and don't have a secondary repository
like for instance GRASS does.

Most OSGeo projects have a limited commiters group who have write access
to the primary source code. Some of these projects don't have and don't
really need a repository for addons, usually because they don't have a
lot of contributed code. GRASS is one exception, in that it has a lot of
contributed code, and it is quite easy to get SVN write access to the
addons repository, which in turn works to stimulate people to share
their custom modules. :)

I hope it is more clear now. You use whatever repository your mentor
tells you to use. He knows if he can give you write access to the
project main repository or a secondary (which can be the soon to be
creates svn repository).

--Wolf

--

Wolf Bergenheim (wolf+grass at bergenheim.net)