[SoC] Re: Request for views on the proposal on pgRouting project.

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Mar 11 16:24:13 EST 2010

I would like to hear from Daniel on his thoughts on this. My first
thought is that pgRouting basically has two components:

plpgsql code that wraps calls to the lower level C/C++ code that
implements the guts of the graph building and analysis.

It sounds like Jatin's proposal is to build a new project based on Java
that implements graph analysis in PostgreSQL similar in nature to what
pgRouting is doing today. I think this makes good sense for supporting
the Java based projects that Alex mentioned. If this is the case, then
I'm not sure how much help a pgRouting mentor will be, but I could be
wrong on this. I'm also not sure that it makes sense to pre-condition
Jatin's project with what may or may not be good design decision for
C/C++ vs Java as I suspect the integration issues will vary greatly.

Alex - thank you for your suggestion on other projects that might be
interested.

Daniel - please chime in when you have a chance.

Wolf - I think your help co-ordinating might be very helpful.

-Steve