[SoC] Re: google soc

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 12 11:10:18 EST 2010

Wolf wrote:
> Unfortunately I won't have time to mentor for GRASS this year,

(and I can only at max co-mentor a possible wxGUI frontend to ps.map)

> Perhaps the unfinished ideas from previous years could be moved to
> the 2010 page?

mmm, I like to use the new year as an excuse to cull the old wishlists
and only promote the ones with champions (ie likely to find a mentor)

> Also what do you people think of a project to make vectors so that
> they don't have to be all loaded into memory, would that be too big of
> a task? Perhaps this has already been fixed in GRASS 7 (I know I
> haven't followed up too closely with the progress).

do you mean building the spatial index each time (already done by MarkusM)
or to deal with vectors with massive (>3m) numbers of features better
while still building topology?

> Is there some GRASS 7 task which we could make into a SoC idea?

?  better integration with PostGIS / Spatialite (SQLite's version of
PostGIS) ?

but I really worry about projects which need core design decisions made,
as the student wouldn't have the needed codebase and culture experience
for the result to get developer buy-in. I'd much rather them work on
things which were already long thought about and to some extent we know
how we want them done, we just haven't had the time to do them yet.
(and this Especially goes for inter-project proposals such as the carto lib)

Hamish