[SoC] Weekly report 3 -- astronomical image processing plug-in for Opticks

Yiwei Zhang zhangyiwei79 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 14:28:27 EDT 2011

Hi, all

I am working on astronomical image processing plug-in for Opticks.

This week I begin to implement the Gaussian histogram shaping function for
image enhancement

Histogram shaping method reshapes the original histogram of the image into
the Gaussian shape histogram whose parameter can be defined by the user. For
astronomical images, most pixels wind up with values in the middle and high
end of gray scale. By histogram reshape, the distribution of the gray value
is expanded so that more contrast shall be displayed.

The details of the report can be found at:

http://opticks.org/confluence/display/~yiwei/Status+Report+for+Week+3%2C+GSoC+2011

Next week I shall finish the histogram shaping algorithm, adding an
interface for parameter setting and doing some more tests