[SoC] OSM and Neo4j in uDig - GSoC Report, Week 4

Carol Hansen carolbhansen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 12:46:27 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I hope all is well. This week was a really great week. Things started to
click and come together as far as understanding Neo4j within Java, how to
index, the parsing API, etc.

*What did I do this week?*

   - Successfully created a rough draft of my OSM Importer, integrated with
   Neo4j:
   https://github.com/GretaCB/Routing-Project/blob/master/neo4j/src/main/java/org/neo4j/neo4j/OSMImporterNew.java
   - Installed more RAM. My computer is so happy, and so am I. It was the
   first time I ever installed hardware.

*What will I be working on next week?*

   - Continue working on the new OSM Importer and routing research
   - Finish parsing for "tag" elements with relevant attributes for routing
   (ex: "highway")...also determine which attributes are relevant
   - Continue going through design patterns book as needed
   - Figure out the next step, once the importer is solid.

*Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?*

   - Was able to troubleshoot fairly easily this week...though I couldn't
   have done it without my mentor, Davide!

Thank you,
Carol Hansen