[SoC] Porting discontinued Axios Spatial Tools into uDig core 1.3 - weekly report

Marco Foi gsoc at mcfoi.it
Fri Jun 22 08:11:00 PDT 2012

Hi folks.

This week was not so outstanding as I hoped.

*What did I do this week?*

   - Finally grabbed the essence of Git and GitHub magic for successfully
   cooperating with the developer community
   - Stated to unveil the secrets of the uDig UI lifecylce
   - Performed some exercising trying to fix some bugs of the
   eu.udig.tools.merge plugin

*What will I be working on next week?*

   - Keep on studying all aspects relevant to user-UI interaction in uDig
   - Start studying the source code of original Axios "Arc" tool,
   understand its' use cases and design its porting in the new environment

*Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?*

   - Yes.. ..could not find a way to open by code a piece of the UI (a
   custo "view": MergeView.java). This would have allowed me to propose to the
   community a solution to a known bug of the eu.udig.tools.merge tool.
   Suggestions from the community were tested but without luck. Probably I am
   missing some key concept in how uDig UI works.

Thank you,
Marco Foi