[SoC] Re: Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2012 has been anounced

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 09:33:17 EST 2012

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 17:03:17 -0500
Jeffrey Warren <jeff at publiclaboratory.org> wrote:

> Hi, Hamish et al -
>
> Public Lab decided to try for our own mentoring organization
> application this year.

Hello Jeffrey, all,

Public Lab projects look great and I especially support the leading idea
of "civic science".

> It wasn't clear to us if we'd be taking slots
> away from OSGeo if we came under the umbrella, and i guess we just
> figured why not try applying on our own.

Let me clarify this point: all projects under the OSGeo umbrella are
sharing the slots assigned to OSGeo. The admission within OSGeo
umbrella is reserved to OSGeo projects, and case by case also to
incubating projects such as Opticks.
Additionally, we are willing to collaborate with like-minded geospatial
projects like OSM, Mapnik, Sahana...

> That said, we're wondering if we could ask for support for our
> application -- the app asks if you are willing to 'vouch for'
> newcomer organizations, so if that's something you'd all be willing
> to do that would be much appreciated.

My intention is to vouch for you as newcomer organisation.

I'd ask for more opinions from the list, preferably before the deadline
for application submission, that is tomorrow 9th of March, 15.00 PDT.

> Also if you have advice on how to approach this next year in terms of
> joint/separate applications, we're all ears. Thanks for the initial
> feedback.

Sure! I welcome you to ask for vouching next year too, or also
integrate some of the projects within Rails GSoC ideas.

If you wish to participate to next SoC with OSGeo and have
already plans to be part of OSGeo, I suggest you to check if
any of your projects could start incubation process.
More information can be found here:

http://www.osgeo.org/incubator

> You can check out our ideas page here:
>
> http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/gsoc-ideas
>
> and the main organizing page here:
>
> http://publiclaboratory.org/wiki/gsoc-2012

Thanks for the information, and best of luck for your application!

> Jeff

Anne
--
OSGeo GSoC Admnistrator