[SoC] Mentor payments - update from Board meeting, March 15th

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 12:51:27 EDT 2012

Hello all,

during last Board meeting on March 15th, I asked if mentor payments
could be performed this year.

For every accepted student, OSGeo receives 500$. Like in the great
majority of mentoring organisations, the money is used to sponsor
hackfests, meetings, and so on. Only few forward the money to the
mentors. As some mentors asked last year if they could claim the money,
I brought the topic to the Board meeting.

Frank Wamerdam and Daniel Morissette explained that the bureaucracy
involved with mentor payment is complex, and the advice of a lawyer is
needed. Roughly, the payment requires an invoice from the mentor and
appropriate tax documentation according to the nationality of the
mentor.
That said, their opinion is to keep thing simple: OSGeo will receive the
money and redistribute it to the projects through the usual channels
(events sponsoring, refunds, etc), like past years.

I personally second this and I hope this is OK for everyone; as usual,
we are open to suggestions for improvement.

All the best,

Anne
--
OSGeo SoC Administrator