[SoC] QGIS & GRASS + Inkscape (cartography)

Brylie Oxley brylie at gnumedia.org
Mon Mar 19 13:35:18 EDT 2012

Hello,
My name is Brylie Oxley. I am a student at Sierra College in Nevada
City, CA. I would like to apply for the GSoC program.

I have been studying GIS at Sierra College, where the courses focus on
proprietary tools. For libre GIS tools to be viable options, we need
high quality cartographic tools. This is where I see Inkscape as an
EXCELLENT candidate.

I would like to make an extension for QGIS, GRASS, and/or Inkscape that
would enable us to send data from QGIS/GRASS directly to Inkscape. It
would also be nice to be able to have Inkscape leverage the OSGeo
applications to import data/layers into a cartographic project.

I am glad to get any feedback regarding users' experiences sharing data
between these two programs. I would also like to know what some of the
components are that I can leverage to create a bridging
extension/improved cartographic interface for QGIS/GRASS.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Brylie Oxley