[SoC] QGIS & GRASS + Inkscape (cartography)

Brylie Oxley brylie at gnumedia.org
Mon Mar 19 13:56:56 EDT 2012

On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:44:05 -0600, Michael Barton wrote:
> GRASS already has the ability to read and write SVG files. How do you
> propose to enhance this capability?

Thanks for your quick response Michael. I propose to provide tighter
integration with Inkscape in regards to GRASS SVG support. In other
words, Inkscape would provide a robust user interface (which is
important for usability and widespread adoption) for creating
cartographic output based on GRASS data sets.

The project will produce functionality in GRASS that would launch
Inkscape, if installed, and serve data to an Inkscape project on demand
(i.e. it could refresh as needed). It seems that this can, given proper
mentorship, be abstracted to support MapServer, Quantum GIS, and other
OSGeo projects.

This project will save developer time as Inkscape is already an
excellent SVG editor with support for JavaScript/web standards. Working
with Inkscape will have a gestalt effect, putting our Libre geospatial
cartographic abilities on par with aspects ArcMap. I am basically
advocating cross-project collaboration among the premiere of libre
software tools.