[SoC] OSGeo GSoC 2012: coding period starts today, May 21

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Mon May 21 05:26:50 EDT 2012

Hello all, students and mentors!

Today GSoC starts officially, I hope you are ready to code - and I
konw some of you already started :)

Here is the checklist for students, for a good SoC start:

== Version control system setup ==
Have you set up your preferred VCS (Version Control System) to start
coding? Most of OSGeo projects use SVN - so make sure you have write
access to the relevant repository. If you don't have write access by
now, ask your mentor about how your project handles GSoC students
access.

== Wiki Page ==
Do you have a page on the wiki of your project? If your project
participated in past SoCs, feel free to reuse the template of past
years' applications. The wiki page would ideally contain the link of
your application in Melange, a detailed timeline, and links to the
weekly reports you will send along the summer.

== Weekly email reports ==
These are the most important things to have ready by Friday, May 25,
that is the day you will send your first official report on this
mailing list and, if you need guidance from developers' community, also
on the developers  mailing list of your project. This is valid for
every weekly report, and feel free to mail the developers list anytime
you have a question that can interest all. You are part of the community!
You are supposed to send the report email every week - even if you
didn't code because of exams, or holidays, or any other reason. Last
years, the most successful students were those who sent reports on
time. The aim of the SoC is to accept new developers in open source
communities, not to pay you to work alone, so not communicating is
considered a reason for  failing. So, students, please write the
reports,  and mentors, remind your students about them.

The report should contain the title of the project in the subject, and
at least the answers  these three questions:
1) What do I have completed this week?
2) What am I going to achieve for next week?
3) Is there any blocking issue?

You don't need to write a lot. The answers can be simply links to your
wiki page. In the archives of soc mailing list you can find all the
report emails of previous years, as source of inspiration.

For any question or clarification, don't hesitate to contact me, Wolf or
Hamish.

Happy hacking everyone, and I look forward for first report on Friday,
May 25!

Anne Ghisla
OSGeo SoC Administrator