[SoC] GSoC project idea

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 01:11:26 PDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Apr 2013 18:00:21 +0200
Vreixo González <vreixo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,

Hello Vreixo,

> I'm an undergraduate student from Spain and I want to participate in
> GSoC improving OTP Android client written by Sean Barbeau (
> https://github.com/CUTR-at-USF/OpenTripPlanner-for-Android/wiki) and
> this will be my grade final project. Also I want to deploy one
> OpenTripPlanner server in Coruña to use the application.
>
> Here in Coruña (Spain) all apps for transit are really basic
> and annoying so when I found OpenTripPlanner, the idea of deploy it
> here was very exciting. Also I think that a mobile client that works
> well and with a nice and complete UI will be really useful for the
> project (at the moment this android client has some great things like
> the option to use any server and beautiful UI, the problems are that
> app it's basic and it crashes everytime I try to do something with
> it). I would like to implement some more advance features like real
> time alerts, favourite trips, view live map of your trip, etc. I have
> wrote to Mr. Barbeau and he told me that no one is working at the
> project now and development has been stopped, so I thought that was a
> good chance.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenTripPlanner
>
> I didn't wrote here before, because I have not found OpenTripPlanner
> in between OSgeo projects, so at the beginning I wrote to OSM to see
> if my summer work could be accepted with them under OSgeo umbrella,
> as it uses and is based on OSM data to work and to visualization (at
> least with mobile app and with the server that I intend to deploy)
> and I found it interesting .

Yes, OTP is not listed on OSGeo/guest projects, but as the project is
based on OSM data and is within the scope of geospatial open source
software, I am willing to accept it under OSGeo umbrella.

> Now I'm writing here because in OSM development list I only have
> received one reply saying that OSM won't be on summer of code and
> when I have answered him, asking if it won't be possible under OSgeo
> I didn't get any more replies. This was ten days ago when period to
> discuss with communities began. I also have tried on IRC and people
> was not sure about this project relation with OSM and only one person
> told me to write my idea on the wiki, what I did (
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code/2013/Project_Ideas
> ).
>
> As I didn't see any activity regarding my project in OSM, no
> discussions about it or any interest on it  I have wrote to
> OpenTripPlanner community and they encouraged me to submit it
> directly through OSgeo. So, I would like to know if it would be
> better (and possible) to present it with OSgeo.

From my side I welcome you to apply under OSGeo as soon as the
application period begins (22nd of April).

Our next task will be to find one or two mentors for the idea.
As I read on OTP dev list, some developers are willing to help you
testing your code, but are not available to be full time mentors.
On OSGeo side, I don't know who could be an effective mentor, but if
anyone reading the list is available, please speak up!

I suggest you to write again to OTP list, to confirm that OSGeo is open
to accept your application on Melange, and to ask for a potential
mentor.
The important point is that you have a fair amount of support from one
or more developers when you are stuck or have doubts on how to proceed.

> Thank you very much,
>
> Vreixo González

All the best!
Anne