[SoC] GSoC 13 WR 9 - Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for uDig

Marco Foi gsoc at mcfoi.it
Sun Aug 18 14:48:02 PDT 2013

GSoC 13 WR 9 - Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for
uDig

Hi mates!

I’m Marco and I am working on the development of a tool to assess
susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslides.
The software will be based on the Ph.D. Thesis in Environmental Engineering
by Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model available for use within the
uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox

These are the tasks I’ve been doing during this third week:

• What did I do this week?

- This week I could meet Cristiano and we could clearly define one first
clear goal for the development task. I will first focus on producing Safety
Factor maps from a set of input from the user such as the requested Return
Times of rainfall events. I will leave the development of susceptibility
maps as a second deliverable.
- Technically speaking I kept developing a set of classes for handling
specificities of the model input data so that now, partially relying on
other existing models and partially thanks to my new input preprocessing
methods, the OmsCislam model can be initialised with standard - but non
suitable - maps. In this way the used is saved from the annoyance of
tweaking regular maps to make them usable for the model.

• What will I be working on next week?

- I will keep implementing tool logic while updating test cases and keeping
notes on the tool wiki (
https://bitbucket.org/mcfoi/jgrasstool-cislam/issues ) about relevant
issues. Probably I will stop for some two or three days of vacation so I
will not make huge progresses this week.

• Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?

- No.

Best regards,
Marco