[SoC] GSoC weekly reports #10 mapserver utfgrid support

Francois Desjarlais fdesjarlais1 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 11:54:01 PDT 2013

Report #10Reports #10 goes from August 17th to August 30th. MapServer with
UTFGrid driver can be found on my Git. You can find the docs and working
example here. There is also a page where all my previous report on the
MapServer's wiki here.Week 12-13Last week, I didn't make a report because I
was sick and there wasn't enough work done. This week, I worked on
finishing all the tasks I had to do for this project. I received feedback
and made all the necessary changes. I also made a tests suite for my
UTFGrid driver in the msautotest. There was not any kind of difficulties
this week and things went pretty well. Since some of the work isn't
completely done, I plan to work on the weekend to finish it before the
school restarts. There might be another report later when it comes to my
code integration in the MapServer trunk.
Plan
This plan states what are the big chunks of the UTFGrid driver that are
left.

   1. Do a final code review with my mentor to see if everything is fine.
   2. Add a renderTruetypeSymbols. Due to the upcoming changes to Truetype
   rendering, I didn't make one and adding it will allow UTFGrid to render
   every symbols types and labels.
   3. Make a JSON escaping function for UTFGrid rendering.
   4. An OpenLayers patch is required for the MapServer UTFGrid output to
   work. It is available at https://github.com/fdesj/openlayers in the
   utfgridwms branch, and the corresponding OL ticket is at
   https://github.com/openlayers/openlayers/pull/1076. We will need to
   followup with the OpenLayers developpers to make sure it gets integrated.

Conclusion

It was a great summer and learned a whole lot of stuff. I would like to
thanks the MapServer devs and the Mapgears' team for their great support
during this whole project.