[SoC] GSoC 13 WR 3 – Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for uDig

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 01:41:19 PDT 2013

On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 21:51:32 +0200
Marco Foi <gsoc at mcfoi.it> wrote:

> Hi mates!

Hi Marco, nice to see such intense researching activity for your GSoC
project!

> I’m Marco and I am working on the development of a tool to assess
> susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslides.
> The software will be based on the Ph.D. Thesis in Environmental
> Engineering by Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model available
> for use within the uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox

[..]

> Since I could also get the hands on the "research code" written in R
> by Cristiano Lanni for testing the algorithm, I had to gather a
> minimum understanding of the S language to follow the procedures and
> to have his code running on my laptop.
> I used a couple of exhaustive resources (in Italian):
>
> - Introduction to R:
> http://www.slideshare.net/SlidesIdrologia/9-introduzione-r by Riccardo
> Rigon and Matteo Dall’Amico
> - Il linguaggio R: concetti introduttivi ed esempi
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/nozioniR.pdf by Vito M. R.
> Muggeo and Giancarlo
> Ferrara

Great! I have been learning R as my first language and am always
impressed by its versatility - and I also excuse many of its defects :)

May I recommend you some more R resources?
http://www.statmethods.net/
http://www.statmethods.net/about/books.html
http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php
http://rseek.org/