[SoC] GSoC 13 WR 3 – Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for uDig

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 03:04:08 PDT 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 11:47:08 +0200
Marco Foi <gsoc at mcfoi.it> wrote:

> I still do not know whether I will go deeper in R but, in that case, I
> will need to look for packages to manage information in a more
> spatial-aware way.
> Do you know any? (I did no research so far)

You can have a global perspective on spatial data handling in R here:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Spatial.html

and some useful packages are also here:
http://cran.r-project.org/web/views/Environmetrics.html - see section
Hydrology and Oceanography

The base package that handles spatial information is sp - to be coupled
with rgdal for import/export. Other packages address more specific
topics.

Best!
Anne

> Marco
>
> 2013/7/8 Anne Ghisla <a.ghisla at gmail.com>:
> > On Sun, 7 Jul 2013 21:51:32 +0200
> > Marco Foi <gsoc at mcfoi.it> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi mates!
> >
> > Hi Marco, nice to see such intense researching activity for your
> > GSoC project!
> >
> >> I’m Marco and I am working on the development of a tool to assess
> >> susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslides.
> >> The software will be based on the Ph.D. Thesis in Environmental
> >> Engineering by Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model
> >> available for use within the uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox
> >
> > [..]
> >
> >> Since I could also get the hands on the "research code" written in
> >> R by Cristiano Lanni for testing the algorithm, I had to gather a
> >> minimum understanding of the S language to follow the procedures
> >> and to have his code running on my laptop.
> >> I used a couple of exhaustive resources (in Italian):
> >>
> >> - Introduction to R:
> >> http://www.slideshare.net/SlidesIdrologia/9-introduzione-r by
> >> Riccardo Rigon and Matteo Dall’Amico
> >> - Il linguaggio R: concetti introduttivi ed esempi
> >> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/nozioniR.pdf by Vito M. R.
> >> Muggeo and Giancarlo
> >> Ferrara
> >
> > Great! I have been learning R as my first language and am always
> > impressed by its versatility - and I also excuse many of its
> > defects :)
> >
> > May I recommend you some more R resources?
> > http://www.statmethods.net/
> > http://www.statmethods.net/about/books.html
> > http://rwiki.sciviews.org/doku.php
> > http://rseek.org/