[SoC] GSoC'13 WR#2 – Hydrologically controlled landslides susceptibility tool for uDig

Marco Foi gsoc at mcfoi.it
Sat Jun 29 10:42:36 PDT 2013

Hi mates!

I’m Marco and am working on the development of a tool to assess
susceptibility of hydrologically controlled shallow landslides. The
software will be based on the Ph.D. Environmental Engineering thesis by
Lanni C. (2012) and will consist of a model available for use within
the uDig/JGrass Spatial Toolbox

These are the tasks I’ve been doing during this second week:

• What did I do this week?

- I kept studying the original work from Cristiano Lanni to fill my gap in
hydrology: http://eprints-phd.biblio.unitn.it/779/
- Manager to travel to Bolzano to meet Cristiano and discussed with him the
several hard points in his work.
- Unexpectedly recovered from Cristiano an implementation of the algorithm
written for the R environment

• What will I be working on next week?

- Changing the original plan, I will review the newly found script to match
equations in the published paper with the code so to gain the in-depth
knowledge required to carry out the development.

• Did I meet with any stumbling blocks?

- I definitely underestimated the level of comprehension of the subject
required to be able to perform the development. This will make me use some
more time (one week) in this preliminary stage before getting down to code.

Best regards,
Marco.