[SoC] Community bonding period - from now to June, 17th

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Tue May 28 11:58:31 PDT 2013

Hello all!

next item on GSoC calendar is community bonding period - a time to get
to grips with all you need to know to start coding on June, 17th.

Selected students: you are invited to contact your mentors and get help
to setup the developing environment (IDE, code checkout + permissions on
the project's repo if needed, collection of test data...). It is
important that you get in contact to the project's developers as soon
as possible. Don't miss the great tips from the Student's Guide:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/ch011_how-gsoc-works/ (and
subsequent chapters)

Mentors: help the student familiarise with the project's codebase and
folklore (communication channels, gurus, bug tracker, code
conventions..). Start refining the timeline with the student, setting
the first goals and estimate the time required to reach them. Coding can
start anytime before June, 17h, especially if the student has planned
some time off during coding period.

There are great reads from past GSoCcers that you can enjoy:
Students:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/ch017_working-with-your-mentor/
Mentors: http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoring/mind-the-gap/

I would like to point the unaccepted students to some tips that show
how to become a FOSS contributor besides GSoC (that is only one of many
ways):
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/ch009_being-turned-down/

Everyone: feel free to email me, the admins and your mentor, if you
need further clarifications. Please use this public list if you think
that others will benefit from the answer.

All the best!

Anne
--
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Aghisla