[SoC] Community bonding period - some suggestions

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 04:54:12 PDT 2014

Hello all, students and mentors,

let me give you a few tips on how to make good use of Community
bonding period, the time from acceptance to start of coding.

- make sure there is a reliable communication between you and your
  mentor(s). It is important to start it well before coding start. If
  you have any difficulty in establishing such connection, let me know
  in a private mail. This is valid also for mentors.

- get in touch with the community around your software project. Let the
  developers know what you are doing. Find beta testers among them. Ask
  your mentor to introduce you, if needed.

- get familiar with all the tools you will need for coding. This
  includes: version control system, theory behind the algorithm you
  will implement, building process of your chosen software,
  documentation guidelines. You need to be ready to start coding in a
  month (or less, depending on your own timeline)!

- set up a wiki page on your software's wiki, or a section on your own
  blog, as soon as possible, where you will post updates about your
  progress, whenever you want. You will be requested to post a weekly
  update on this list  - but feel free to write more often and in more detail on your
  blog/wiki.

- make your Melange proposal public. People who browse OSGeo accepted
  proposals on Melange will be happy to read your full proposal from
  there. You can then post the link to your progress wiki page/blog in a
  public comment, as soon as you set it up.

All this and few more links is summarised here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas#What_to_expect_during_the_summer

Some of you have been through it already from past years: if you have
specific additions to what I said, feel free to speak up!

To all, have a good start of GSoC, and as usual, don't hesitate to ask
me if in doubt.

Best,

Anne
OSGeo GSoC Admin