[SoC] GSoC 2014 - gvSIG-jexcel - weekly report #3

Manuel Madrid madridgarcia.manuel at gmail.com
Sat Jun 7 15:43:32 PDT 2014

Hi all,

* What did I get done this week?

I adapted the source code of the CSV provider in order to be able to
read Excel spreadsheets using the jexcelapi library. Finally I used more
amount of source code of the CSV provider than expected.

I converted to Excel file format through LibreOffice the following files:
-
http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/geodata/tables/CSV/poblacionINE.csv.zip
- http://downloads.gvsig.org/download/geodata/tables/CSV/torrent_4.csv.zip
I uploaded them to the plugin folder and used them for testing the data

Now it is already possible to load them as tables in gvSIG with minor
issues that I will try to fix the next week.

* What do I plan on doing next week?

I will fix some issues affecting the detection of the column types.

Depending on how long takes me to fix this issues I will consider to
address the implementation of the spacial data support, despite it was
initially planned in the next iteration, some weeks later.

* Am I blocked on anything?

I thought I could get more information from the Excel file than I
finally got, as I couldn't get the information regarding the column type
and the headers, in case they had.

This made me spend more time than expected studying the jexcelapi
needlessly as I finally reused some of the CSV provider source code. I
have to say that this made me think if using the jexcelapi library was
the right decision but I finally decided to carry on with it.

Best,
Manuel.