[SoC] GSoC 2014: Start of coding period, first report due May 23rd

Anne Ghisla a.ghisla at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:26:41 PDT 2014

Hello all, students and mentors from around the globe,

today is the official start of GSoC 2014 coding period, I hope you
already wrote your first lines of code!

Students, you all should be familiar with the codebase of your project,
and have asked all necessary clarifications to your mentors and project
communities by now.

This Friday, May 23rd, you are expected to send your first progress
report.
This report is an email to this list and to the relevant developer
lists, that contains updates about your progress. It must contain at
least the answers to these 3 questions:

1. What did you get done this week?
2. What do you plan on doing next week?
3. Are you blocked on anything?

This helps you set weekly goals and then check if your time estimate
was accurate. Don't be worried if the first weeks you are not able to
make good estimates of how long it takes to complete a task, you will
gradually improve!

This first report has to contain the links to your code repository and
to your blog/wiki page, where you will keep track of your progress. On
the wiki and blog you are free to write more often than once a week.

See the links in last year's final admin report for inspiration:
http://www.osgeo.org/node/1410

More on reports and blogs is available on our wiki:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas#What_to_expect_during_the_summer

As usual, if any of you have questions or doubts, just send us admins a
mail.

Happy coding!

Anne, Hamish and Dustan
OSGeo GSoC admins