[SoC] GSoC 2014 - gvSIG-jexcel - weekly report #1

Manuel Madrid madridgarcia.manuel at gmail.com
Fri May 23 11:41:18 PDT 2014

Hi all,

* What did you get done this week?

In order to implement the Excel data provider for gvSIG I will use as a
basis a Java library that provides access to Excel data.

I considered the following alternatives:

   - POI-HSSF and POI-XSSF - Java API To Access Microsoft Excel Format Files

   - SmartXLS for Java

   - Java Excel API

I finally decided to go for the last one as it is powerful enough and it
looks quite simple. It seems that this project doesn't have activity
since 2010 but I hope this is not a problem.

Those are the most relevant links of this library:

   - http://www.andykhan.com/jexcelapi/
   - http://sourceforge.net/projects/jexcelapi/?source=navbar
   -
http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails|net.sourceforge.jexcelapi|jxl|2.6.12|jar

I've got a project within the gvSIG project infrastructure:

   - https://devel.gvsig.org/redmine/projects/gvsig-jexcel

The source code will be stored at:

   - https://devel.gvsig.org/svn/gvsig-jexcel

* What do you plan on doing next week?

I plan to create the Maven projects infrastructure. I will use as a
basis the following gvSIG projects:

   - gvSIG data provider for DGN
     https://devel.gvsig.org/redmine/projects/gvsig-dgn

   - gvSIG data provider for DXF
     https://devel.gvsig.org/redmine/projects/gvsig-dxf

I also will use the gvSIG CVS data provider to compose the project skeleton.

* Are you blocked on anything?

Not, so far. :)

Best,
Manuel.