[SoC] UbuntuGIS Weekly Report 2

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat May 31 15:50:50 PDT 2014

Thanks for the feedback Jerome,

One of the goals I'm hoping to see come out of your great work is to
build up sustainability and continuity beyond the GSoC timeline.
A potential way to achieve this (which we have adopted for OSGeoLive) is
to help projects incorporate packaging into their build process, such
that they can take ownership of packaging themselves. Part of this
involves just letting projects know what you have done for them, and
then listening to hear how they might suggest to build upon your work,
and take ownership of it. Maybe a blog post, accompanied by an email to
the project's email list?
I will forward your status report to the OSGeo-Live points of contact
for PostGIS and Spatialite.

(If you haven't already seen it, I explain this concept in more detail
in this blog post:
http://cameronshorter.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/memoirs-of-cat-herder-coordinating.html
)

Daniel, as you sit in the same office as Jerome, it might be worth
brainstorming ideas with Jerome?

And if you haven't already picked up on it, I think the greatest value
that we can gain from this exercise would be to focus more on solving
the java related packing issues, (especially with Ben helping as a mentor).

Also, I suggest dropping by on our next OSGeoLive weekly meeting.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Disc#Contact_Us

--
Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager