[SoC] Report 5 - Add productivity tools to MapServer's ScribeUI

Samuel Lapointe samuellapointe at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 13:14:24 PDT 2015

Hi all, this is my fifth report for the ScribeUI project.

*Completed this week*

   - This week, I worked on exporting maps. I was able to add a basic
   function where it takes the content of the map and zips it. The user can
   choose how much vector/raster data is to be included in the zip. As soon as
   the export is complete, a popup appears to download the file and the file
   is deleted from the server when it’s no longer needed.

*Plan for next week*

   - Even though the export works, I’m not satisfied with it yet, as
   there’s nothing indicating progress to the user. I’ve tried different ways
   to do it but none of them were very “clean” or efficient. Next week, I will
   try implementing Websockets so that I can send information to the client on
   the progress as the export process goes on. My mentors and I have never
   used them before so I expect it to take me all week.

*Blocking issues*

   - This week was a bit slower than usual, because I was sick and there
   was a national holiday. Moreover, I tried a lot of different ways to send
   information to the client while the export process was taking place, which
   didn’t work in the end. I have found a possible solution for it
   (communicating through server logs) but it’s not optimal, so I’ll spend
   next week trying to make it work with websockets, and if it doesn’t work
   I’ll simply use the solution I found.

Have a nice week-end!
​