[SoC] REST interface for PyWPS

Calin Ciociu noctalin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 05:59:12 PDT 2015

Hello everyone,

My name is Calin Ciociu, residing in Luxembourg and currently doing my
bachelor thesis in Computer Science at the University of Luxembourg
while working at LIST (Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology)
for my intern-ship.
I am developing on PyWPS 4 which is a python implementation of the Web
Processing Service standard from Open Geospatial Consortium and I intend
on participating in the GSoC'15 as a student.

I have had no prior involvement with GIS but I got to learn and
understand and as one of the active developers of PyWPS I want to give
my proposition suggesting the implementation of a REST interface for
PyWPS allowing for the following but not limited to:

* The ability for configuration of PyWPS and controlling of running
processes
* Getting a list of running processes
* Possibility to pause/kill/resume running processes
* Possibility to change configuration (even ideas like deploy multiple
instances)
* Import new processes into existing instances.

The presentation of my bachelor thesis will be between 08/06/2015 and
05/07/2015 after which I will have finished my bachelor in Computer
Science. Other note that might be of use is an absence during July to
beginning of August of 2 to 3 weeks.

I am mainly using Linux Mint 17.1 with PyCharm as my development
environment for PyWPS and I am acquainted with Unix systems having set
up an infrastructure running virtualized Unix and Windows servers like
web/file/database server at home. Experienced in working with Windows
7/8.1 and I posses sufficient knowledge in C++, Java, Python, SQL.

I am motivated and ready to participate and be a part of this community.

Best regards,
Calin Ciociu