[SoC] OSGeo GSoC code submission guidelines

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 11:50:30 PDT 2016

Dear students,

it is almost time to wrap up your GSoC project! We hope you enjoyed coding
with our organization, and we are sure you had the opportunity to learn a
lot from your mentors and the community.

For your last report, we ask from you something slightly different, that
helps the community to have an overview of your project and focus in
particular on your addition.

The template to follow is similar to the one proposed to your peers last
year :

   -

   Brief description of the idea. e.g. "My project focused on xxx".
   -

   The state of the project as it was BEFORE your GSoC. For example, if you
   made a GUI, you can say: "In the software XYZ, when I wanted to use the
   tool xxx, I had to manually edit the file yyy. "
   -

   The addition that your project brought to the software. In the same
   example: "With the GUI that I created, now it is possible to use the tool
   xxx via graphical user interface".
   -

   Add all the links (hopefully permanent) to access the relevant code and
   documentation for the user to get started with testing your application.
   "Please test my code following instructions here". (Please, test that the
   links are working and do not require special access permissions!)
   -

   A slide / image should serve to show the main elements of your project.
   It could be a flow chart, a screenshot, both, or whatever you think could
   serve for the scope. Remember: the aim is to showcase your project to
   people that are not necessarily familiar with the software. The slide must
   be loaded on the OSGeo wiki or in the wiki of your own project and the link
   shall be included in your report.

Please, if you haven’t yet done so, read carefully the general GSoC code
submissions guidelines, available at
https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/work-product, which
mention all valid submission alternatives.

We OSGeo admins invite you to send the report to soc list, as usual, and
use the link to the publicly archived email as your submission URL. Please,
get in touch with us and your mentors if you wish to use other URLs.

That's all from us! We would like to thank you for your commitment and
thank all the mentors that dedicated their valuable time to your guidance.

Looking forward to reading your summaries of GSoC 2016!

Good luck for the final evaluations!

Anne and Madi

http://goo.gl/yv6aCq

--