[SoC] QGIS-R map project

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Feb 1 09:48:42 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hkmyricaria at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Barry,
>
> thank you very much for your ideas of a QGIS-R map project.
>
> just found this some time ago:
>
> RQGIS - integrating R with QGIS: https://github.com/jannes-m/RQGIS
>
> maybe something similar?

 That is an interface to QGIS Processing, it doesn't do any graphics
because it starts a new QGIS process on every function call - a few
seconds startup is not a problem when you want to run a processing
pipeline that takes a minute, but not good if you are trying to create
an interactive map canvas.

My idea is prototyped in a thing I call pqgisr, which uses an R
package that embeds a python interpreter in R and then calls QGIS
python API. Hence I can create a map canvas, add data, style it etc
etc with python, but I have to block on a Qt loop to get an
interactive UI, which the user has to choose to quit and get back to
an R prompt, at which point the QGIS blocks.

>>At this point do I just need to add a line to the Mentors table on the
>>wiki page?
>
> please prepare a nice idea wiki page, joined with the QGIS team, (examples
> e.g. https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017 ,
> https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/wiki/OSGeo-GSoC#2017, ...)  and send the
> link to our GSoC admin team via gsoc-admin at osgeo.org.

Okay that's a bit confusing. Those are the grass projects, on a trac,
and the pycsw projects on a github - do I need to ask the QGIS GSoC
team (who are they?) where they are storing their GSoC ideas? I'll try
the QGIS-dev list,  I think there's been some action there I've
missed...

I've mentored a couple of GSoC projects from R in the past, and have
literally got the t-shirts.