[SoC] GSoC 2017- Week 2 Report - Integration of Bikeshare Information into an Open-source Transportation App

Rodrigo Carvalho carvalhorr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 05:49:18 PDT 2017

Dear all,

This is my report for week 2:

*Week 2 (June 5 - June 11)*

1. What do I have completed this week?

   - Partially implemented floating bikes and zones/racks in OBA Android in
   the default layer
      - Stations/Bikes are displayed as the default Google Maps marker
      - Requests to OTP are sent without a bounding box
   - Reviewed the documentation for contributing to OBA
   - I started the implementation in the master branch, after reviewing the
   contributing documentation I created a new branch for the work.

2. What am I going to achieve for next week?

   - Finish implementing display of bikes and bike stations in the default
   OBA layer, including the right UI presentation for bikes and bike stations,
   show details about a station when it is clicked (such as number of free
   spaces, number of bikes, etc), include bikes in a separate layer to allow
   users to switch on/off bikes on the map, and make requests to OTP including
   the currently displayed map.
   - Update OTP bike rental API endpoint parameters documentation
   - Study the differences in implementation of the Google and Amazon OBA
   map view (seems that there are differences)
   - Create a Docker Image of OTP with the configured GBFS feeds

3. Is there any blocking issue?

There are no blocking issues, but including the bikes and stations in the
default layer in OBA took longer than expected for various reasons:

   - I had to study how the Google Maps API work and how to add new markers
   to it
   - I had to understand how the map overlays, controllers and other
   details in OBA are implemented
   - I found issues with the communication from OBA with OTP when testing
   the Android app using a physical device. The problem is that my machine is
   not allowing connections from other devices (it is a Linux system and I am
   not familiar with how to change network configurations on it).After some
   investigation, I started using an Android emulator for the tests as it was
   taking too much time. I still have to allow connections from the physical
   device to speed up my tests.

Best regards,
Rodrigo