[SoC] Report for Week 2 - 3D OSM Plugin API for ESA-NASA Web World Wind

Candan Eylül Kilsedar candaneylul.kilsedar at polimi.it
Sun Jun 11 13:40:17 PDT 2017

Hello all,

The work can be found at https://github.com/kilsedar/3dosm.

What did I complete this week?

- Fixed some bugs of the OSMBuildingLayer, as the conversion of OSM data to GeoJSON using the osmtogeojson (https://github.com/tyrasd/osmtogeojson) was not returning the correct type due to some missing options set in the function.

- After spending some time to understand GeoJSON geometry types, found out that rendering the polygons with holes is not yet implemented in NASA Web World Wind, as they are not considered as polygons.

- To improve the performance, instead of tiling my mentor suggested me to use triangle meshes. I started to triangulate the 3D polygons, by creating a subclass of GeoJSONParser. I first triangulated the lateral surfaces and started to read how to make polygon triangulation including the concave ones, and the ones with holes. Found https://github.com/mapbox/earcut.

What am I going to achieve next week?

- If my mentor approves in the meeting of tomorrow I will triangulate also the top of the polygons using the ear cut algorithm.

- I will assess the performance improvements gained using triangulation.

- I will improve the documentation.

Is there any blocking issue?

- There is no blocking issue.

Best,