[SoC] Week 05: Integration Of PDAL into GRASS GIS

Paul Schrum ptschrum at ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 30 13:42:35 PDT 2017

1. What did you get done this week?

Achieved my goal of getting basic functionality to work.  Specifically, the
code now takes an input file name and an output file name via GRASS
v.in.pdal and uses pdal to create the output file using a pipeline json
string (created in memory only).  At this point I have only tested this on
pdal’s test file, 100-points.las from their github page.  Further, I have
only run the conversion to .txt format.  But it is happening in GRASS
code.  Link to last commit:
https://github.ncsu.edu/ptschrum/v_in_pdal/commit/9f20105628decae639d5e4752235b68dbf86d02b

2. What do you plan on doing next week?

a. I need to develop code and a memory-only pipeline which will consume
points from a .las file one point at a time so I can use them to build a
GRASS Vector Map.  In other words, get a basic, no-frills conversion from
.las to GRASS to work like basic .las to .txt is now working.

b. Resolve the .o linking issue I am having with the added .cpp and .hpp
files (see Blocked, below).

c. Get the process of testing/proving 2a into a unit test.  Vashek has
added a unit testing framework to GRASS under a previous GSoC project.  I
will be developing my tests under his established framework.

d. Add some common options to the GRASS command line option so we can do
more than trivial conversions.

3. Are you blocked on anything?

I have added a new .cpp file and .hpp file for generating pipelines from
GRASS inputs.  They compile, but I can’t get them to link.  I think I will
need help figuring this out.

Repo: https://github.ncsu.edu/ptschrum/v_in_pdal

Wiki:
https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2017/IntegrationOfPDALintoGRASSGIS