[SoC] GSoC Introduction

Luca Delucchi lucadeluge at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 23:33:15 PDT 2018

On 25 April 2018 at 05:40, Anna Petrášová <kratochanna at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sanjeet,

Hi Sanjeet, Anna

> welcome! For start, please create a wiki page on trac wiki (you should
> already have access there), look at the examples from the past years,
> and follow similar structure:
> https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC

yes please create the page looking at previous year projects.

> We will need to decide how to manage your contributions, since you
> won't have access rights to the svn repository. We might need to do it
> similarly as we did with one student 2 years ago, he tracked the
> applied changesets in his github repository, which could be then
> submitted to Google in the end of the program. You could post your
> changes in tickets (created specifically for this GSoC) and they will
> be applied by me, Luca or other developers. I understand this is not
> ideal workflow, so if anybody has better idea, let me know.

I fully agree, I think small patches (for example a patch for each
file you modify) is better then bigger, so we can look it

> For the community bonding period there are couple things I suggest.
> * make sure you have all the development environment ready (you
> probably have that already)
> * have good idea about the code structure
> * make yourself familiar with the testing framework, I would like you
> to use it to update current tests of the libraries, adjust them to
> work with Python3 and write new tests:
>       https://grass.osgeo.org/grass74/manuals/libpython/gunittest_testing.html
>       http://fatra.cnr.ncsu.edu/grassgistests/summary_report/
> * specifically start looking at Python scripting library, it would be
> great if you could start working on it during the bonding period,
> specific challenges you may encounter there may help us get the
> discussion going.

yes, to start you can just launch GRASS and from the command line in
GRASS launch a Python3 console, it work.

Please use standard North Carolina dataset [0], the tests actually use
the "basic" version of the dataset

[0] http://grass.osgeo.org/download/sample-data/

--
ciao