[SoC] GSoC 2018 report week 07 - GRASS GIS module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection

Roberta Fagandini robifagandini at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 02:22:44 PDT 2018

Hi all!
I'm Roberta Fagandini and I'm working on my GSoC project, a GRASS GIS
module for Sentinel-2 cloud and shadow detection.
This is my report for the seventh week of coding.

1) What did I complete this week?

   - Continued coding the GRASS python script to execute i.atcorr for all
   bands of the input image changing accordingly the requested input
   parameters and control file [0]
   - Changed some lines of the code according to the i.atcorr manual page
   (e.g. lon/lat retrieved from the computational region and not from metadata
   file) [0]
   - Added the automatic computation of mean target elevation from the
   input dem [0]
   - Wrote and added the python script for retrieving the aerosol optical
   thickness (AOT) value from AERONET data using Py6S library [1]
   - Discussed with dev community about the need to write my own routine to
   retrieve and compute AOT at 550 nm avoiding too many dependencies [2]
   - Started writing my own routine to extract and compute AOT at 550 (one
   of the parameters of the i.atcorr control file) [3]

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

   - Finish writing the routine for AOT computation
   - Understand how to automatically retrieve some parameters for the
   control file like aerosol and atmospheric models
   - Finish defining the automatic procedure for retrieving all the last
   missing parameters for the control file

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No at the moment but the coding of the routine takes more time than
expected.

Here the links to my GitHub repository [4] and wiki page [5]

Kind regards,
Roberta

[0] https://github.com/RobiFag/GRASS_clouds_and_shadows/comm
it/52ede2e0e8d157f5b19fbb414c29bbde0e728b13#diff-d42beca70d3
63fcee5a6ec17260c5129
[1] https://github.com/RobiFag/GRASS_clouds_and_shadows/comm
it/a8757bfaae04c283daab1b03216b3e0d7ed4c885
[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2018-June/088814.html
[3] https://github.com/RobiFag/GRASS_clouds_and_shadows/
commit/568164ea4f093a3045b2562404ece544d1ff6f0f
[4] https://github.com/RobiFag/GRASS_clouds_and_shadows
[5] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2018/CloudsAndShadowsDetection