[SoC] Call for mentors for the upcoming Google Code-In contest, for kids aged 13-17

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue Sep 11 06:45:40 PDT 2018

This is a call for OSGeo mentors for the Google Code-in contest (where
short 3-5 hour tasks are created for kids aged 13-17).  OSGeo
participated last year for the first time, where kids performed tasks
from 11 OSGeo projects, completing 649 tasks in total over about a 6
week span.  The tasks are short, only 3-5 hours long, and are not only
about coding but can be documentation, testing, creating logos, videos,
blogs, and fun things that kids like to do.

Interested mentors are asked to fill in the short Google form at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1jDbLOiQpNbA4wldXo0N5cUDY6aDKkEIvouOL0osAyO0

The contests starts 23 October and ends 12 December, but OSGeo's
application is due this coming Monday, so we please if you're interested
fill in that Google form right away (having mentors helps our chances to
have the application accepted).   You can see the full timeline of the
contest at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Code_In_2018

We'll also have a quick IRC meeting this Thursday, if you have questions
etc, please come and ask.  Time:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2018&month=09&day=13&hour=16&min=0
  In the IRC channel #osgeo-gsoc (connect directly in your browser
through https://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=osgeo-gsoc )

Last year we had tasks from projects such as GRASS GIS, pgRouting,
MapServer, GeoServer, OpenLayers, OSGeoLive, PostGIS, QGIS, FOSS4G, and
gvSIG).  Let's have more this year!!

Please share this to all OSGeo projects (official/incubation/community).
  thanks!

-Code-in admins 2018