[SoC] Instructions for wrapping up and submitting your work

Margherita Di Leo diregola at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 07:45:37 PDT 2019

Dear GSoC students,

according to the official timeline [1] final evaluation and code submission
is near:

Students Submit Code and Final Evaluations: August 19 - 26, 2019

It’s almost time to wrap up your GSoC project! We hope that you enjoyed
coding with OSGeo, and we are sure that you learned a lot from your mentors
and the vibrant OSGeo community.

According to Google [2], the basic requirements for code submissions are:

*It must be easy to identify the work you have done. (i.e. the changes you
made or new code.) When someone goes to the provided URL it should be clear
what work you did without requiring them to do signifcant additional
digging.

* It should be in a stable location. The URL cannot be changed after
submission.

* Someone else should be able to use the content at (or referenced from)
the target of the link to extend your work. If your work is 100% complete,
they should be able to use it. If your work is not 100% complete, it should
be clear what's left to do.

You are also required to submit your final report to SOC mailing list. Your
final report has to include:

1- The title of the project and the software community it belongs to (for
hybrid projects indicate all the software involved);

2- Abstract: a description of the general idea, motivation, challenges,
etc.;

3- The state of the art BEFORE your GSoC. For example, if you made a GUI,
you can say: "In the software XYZ, when I wanted to use the tool xxx, I had
to manually edit the file yyy";

4- The addition (added value) that your project brought to the software. In
the same example: "With the GUI that I created, now it is possible to use
the tool xxx via graphical user interface";

5- If there is still work to be done on the project, include that too. You
can also share highlights or challenging pieces.

6- Add all the permanent links to access the code and documentation for the
user to get started with testing your application. "Please test my code
following instructions here". (Don’t forget to test that the links are
working and do not require special access permissions!) Ensure that the
pull request description is detailed. If the pull request is going to have
more work done after GSoC is over, make sure the last GSoC commit is noted.

7- At least a graphical image that should serve to show the main elements
of your project. It could be a flow chart, a screenshot, both, or whatever
you think could serve for the scope. Remember: the aim is to showcase your
project to people that are not necessarily familiar with the software. The
image must  be loaded on a public repository or in the web page / wiki of
your project and the link shall be included in your report.

8- Optional: you can add links to videos, blog posts etc. that you have
created. (We warmly encourage it.)

The report must be written as text inside your email (not as a separate
attached document, not as a link to an external document). Also, remember
to add the link to your project wiki page.

In order to comply with Google’s requirement of  *a report in a stable
location (the URL cannot be changed after submission)*, you can either
check with your mentors a suitable URL or submit the URL of your final
report. You can find the URL of your final report mail in the SoC Archives (
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/) and then use this permanent link to
your final report mail in your GSoC final submission in your dashboard.

You must submit your final evaluations (with the submission URL)
before *Tuesday,
August 26 at 16:00 UTC*. Do not wait until the last minute on August 26.
Once you submit your final evaluation, you cannot change it or the final
report URL. That URL is what will be public on the GSoC archive site so you
should want it to be representative of the work you did this summer.

If there are any open questions about your final submission, reach out
proactively to your mentors and to this mailing list.

Kind regards

your OSGeo GSoC admins

[1] https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline

[2] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/help/work-product