[SoC] GSoC 2019 Adding Augmented Reality (AR) support to the MapMint4ME Android Application

Aditya Chondke adityachondkeiitb at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 04:49:59 PDT 2019

Dear Helmut,

My mentors and I have discussed and have made two main goals for the coding
period that were adding cloud anchor support for water level marking and
adding AR Scale support to measure distances using ARCore.

I have worked a sample app cloud anchor java in which I completed the code
for adding the cloud anchor support and tested it on various devices. My
next aim was to combine the code with MapMint4ME but there was a warning in
Gradle file of MapMint4ME application because of which I was unable to
merge the code.
To store the cloud anchor ID which is hex number I have used firebase and
this was my blocking issue for week 5.

For week 6 as I was not able to find the right solution and it was
time-consuming so I started to work parallelly on the AR Scale part which
was our second goal because of this the issue was not solved in week 6.

Now in week 7, I have completed the work of setting up my environment of
unity and creating a sample ARScale app which I am testing on different
devices. Along with this, I have seen some ways to remove the issue of
firebase, the first way is to downgrade Gradle and try working and second
was to use some other storage rather than firebase to store cloud anchor id.

>From now onwards I will make sure to write a detailed report and perform
commits regularly based on my advancements in the code I am writing.

Thank you so much for all your comments and suggestions.

Aditya Chondke
M.Tech Geoinformatics
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay