[SoC] GSoC 2019 - porting python 2.7.x to 3.x - Week 9 report

Fenil Mehta fenilgmehta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 22:28:19 PDT 2019

Hi,

Following is the week 9 report -

# Period
22 July 2019 to 28 July 2019

# Report
### What did I complete this week?
- Updated ansible scripts for mapmint using Python 2.x and made a [Pull
Request](https://github.com/mapmint/ansible-roles/pull/6) for the same.
- Modified ansible scripts for installation of mapmint using Python 3.x
- Setup OSGeo Live 12.0 on virtual machine.
- Build the ZOO-Kernel and link it against Python 3.
    * Fixed compilation errors related to "Python.h" header
- Setup Python service updates.
- Started with the testing and following is the summary of my testing:
    * When I got the following error:
        - ```TRACE: 'manage_users' object has no attribute 'desc' Unable to
run your python process properly. Please check the following messages : ['
File "/home/src/mapmint/mapmint-services/authenticate/service.py", line
468, in logIn\n c.execute(con.desc)\n']```
    * My mentors said that this can occur if service is not able to connect
to the postgresql server
    * I checked the postgre service. It was working perfectly alright. I
restarted the service but there was no change in the error.
    * So I checked whether the service was actually running correctly or
not on the port 5432 using ```netstat -an | grep -i listen -w```. And, I
found that it was running.
    * This meant that the error was related to something else.
    * Then I checked ```/var/log/syslog``` and got some error like
        - ```Jul 26 22:53:53 student-VirtualBox apachectl[19833]: AH00558:
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
name, using 127.0.0.1. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress
this message```
    * To find this variable, is used ```grep -ril "ServerName"``` from the
directory ```/etc/apache2```. The result was 5 files:
        - sites-available/000-default.conf
        - sites-available/geonode.conf
        - apache2.conf
        - mods-available/status.conf
        - mods-available/info.conf
    * I personally checked each file and found something wrong with
```/etc/apache2/sites-available/geonode.conf```. It was refering to a
Python 2.7 path for a package called GeoNode.
        - ```WSGIScriptAlias /
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/geonode/wsgi.py```
    * I tried to install GeoNode using: ```pip3 install GeoNode``` but got
syntax error in its installation as it is for Python 2 only.
    * To conclude, a Python package called GeoNode is what seems to be a
problem with the working of mapmint.

### What am I going to achieve for next week?
- Find a way to remove GeoNode from the test host.
- Continue with the testing.

### Is there any blocking issue?
- [GeoNode](https://pypi.org/project/GeoNode/) was last updated on 10 July
2019 and it is internally using Python 2.x. Will have to find a way to
remove it from configuration

# Links
GitHub Repository: https://github.com/fenilgmehta/mapmint

GitHub Wiki Page: