[SoC] GSoC 2020 - Coding Period Week 4 Report

BELGACEM NEDJIMA gb_nedjima at esi.dz
Sun Jun 28 10:24:27 PDT 2020

Hi all,
During the fourth week I started working on the scene exporting feature.
After discussing the feature with mentors, we decided to use wavefront .obj
files.
Here is my report for this week:

   - Tasks done:
      - Fixing some bugs in the vector layer texturing PR
      - Documenting about wavefront .obj files format.
      - Started implementing the scene exporter.
      - Made a branch in my github fork where I will be implementing the
      scene export feature that you can see at github
      <https://github.com/NEDJIMAbelgacem/QGIS/tree/export-scene-feature>
   - Tasks to be done:
      - Get the scene exporting feature working for the vector layer and
      specially QgsTessellatedPolygonGeometry class.
      - Try to do the 3D export feature using Qt3D's QEntity and QGeometry
      only.
      - Figure out how to save materials (associate .mtl files).
   - Blocking issues: Currently I'm trying to figure out how to get
   triangle position data out of Qt3DRender::QBuffer class using the
   Qt3DRender::QAttribute.

You can find the report here as well:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Improving_qgis_3d
If you have any suggestions or feedback please let me know.
Best wishes,
--
Belgacem Nedjima
4th year computer science and engineering student.