[SoC] GSoC 2020 - Introduction - Aditi Sawant - Enhancing ARScale and CloudAnchor support to the MapMint4ME Android Application

aditi sawant aditisawant007 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 06:48:29 PDT 2020

Dear Community Members,

My name is Aditi Mohan Sawant. I am a Computer Science graduate from Mumbai
University, pursuing my Master's degree in Geoinformatics and Natural
Resources Engineering under Centre of Studies in Resources Engineering,
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Mumbai, India. I am on GitHub with
username "aditis1204" [1] and on LinkedIn [2].

My Project for GSoC 2020 is "Enhancing ARScale and CloudAnchor support to
the MapMint4ME Android Application"[3]. In GSoc 2019, AR support to the
MapMint4ME was added. The support was to implement ARScale and CloudAnchor
support to the MapMint4ME application. The CloudAnchor was used to
implement anchors for representing virtual world object. In this project,
we aim to Enhance ARScale and CloudAnchor support to MapMint4ME Android
Application, as mentioned in my proposal[4]

So idea is, while capturing images, sometimes the user wants to add some
extra information for more understanding. Current state allows the user to
draw shapes and visualize changes in real time. But this AR scene will not
be available once the app closes. So the idea is to store Anchors locally
and the entire AR scene into some intermediate format which later can be
used for visualization at some stage in future by the user hence helping to
analyse the data at later stage. Also I am planning to calculate area of
selected anchor space and display it to user in real time. Using this
feature user will experience changes in real time. Also, planning to extend
some UI features for representing GPS details so that we can integrate real
world Lat-Long values to Virtual world AR anchors. This will improve
process of information gathering and will be beneficial for community.

I will be implementing this on GitHub Repo[5] and will update regularly
project wiki which will show my regular progress.[6].

Any suggestions, or comments from the community members on the project idea
are welcome so that I can reanalyze my project accordingly and it will be
beneficial for everyone.

Lastly, I would like to thank OSGeo as well as the MapMint community,
for giving me this opportunity. Since my undergraduate, I was always
excited and wanted to contribute to Open Source community. This is a dream
come true situation for me and I am really excited for this new challenge.
I will do my best during this summer to achieve great success and to do
significant contribution to the OSGeO Community!

Regards,
Aditi Sawant

[1]https://github.com/aditis1204
<https://slack-redir.net/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Faditis1204&v=3>