[SoC] GSoC 2021: Week 10: First steps towards a new GRASS GIS Single-Window GUI

Linda Kladivová L.Kladivova at seznam.cz
Sat Aug 14 10:46:03 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I am sending my Week 10 report (August 9 - August 13). It can be also found
at the project wiki: https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/
SingleWindowLayout#Week
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week10)10
(https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/GSoC/2021/SingleWindowLayout#Week10).

1) What did I complete this week?

First of all, I fixed the size of the automatic notebook which is used for
the startup layout. The related PR [1] has still some minor shortcomings
with cmd warnings messages but we decided to let it be for now since it
would require more intervention in the construction of the map panel status
bar widget which is anyway likely to be very simplified or replaced by the
settings dialog in the future.

Secondly, I implemented the new changing tab event for the center
AuiNotebook. You can have a look at PR [2] which is already merged. To
provide the fully working GRASS Single-Window GUI prototype, I also opened
the PR [3] which addresses several smaller things related to the AuiNotebook
closing event. This PR is not merged yet but I plan to have it done by the
end of GSoC. Merging this PR will close the Issue [4] with the new
AuiNotebook events.

Thirdly, I moved the NewDisplay button to the upper Tools toolbar, see the
PR [5] (merged).

Lastly, each layer tree is about to have one independent toolbar. I have
coded it in the PR [6] which is not in the master branch yet.

2) What am I going to achieve for next week?

The priorities for the next week are mainly to finish PRs [3] and [6].
Unfortunately, we still have not merged the main refactoring PR [7] because
it waits for the GRASS 8 release.

It probably gets into the GRASS dev version after GSoC.

Anyway, I would also like to prepare some startup settings that allow GRASS
geeks to try out the GRASS Single-Window prototype. And of course, I am
going to finish the final evaluation and sum up my work to the final GSoC
report.

3) Is there any blocking issue?
No, It is not. Please, if you would like to know more info, have a look at
my Twitter thread [8] where I presented some screenshots of the prepared
GUI. :-)

[1] ​(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1675)https://github.com/OSGeo/
grass/pull/1775(https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1775)

[2] https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/pull/1780