[SoC] GSoC 2021- Community Bonding Period Report

Francesco Bursi francesco.bursi at hotmail.it
Fri Jun 4 09:43:13 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

Here I share the tasks achieved, you can find what I've done during the bonding period in [1].
Tasks achieved during the bonding period:
      17th May - 30th May

  *   Get in contact with mentors, try to code something and look for some small bugfix I can work on;
  *   Join Slack channel created by mentors and plan the weekly meeting as they suggested;
  *   Set up of the development environment for QGIS (build the code from source, fork the official Repository and create a new branch, set Qt creator environment as it's described in the documentation for the developers );
  *   Start to dive into the code base by studying the existing QgsRasterDataProvider;
  *   Introduce myself over the channel and shared my proposal on the mailing list for suggestions and feedbacks;
  *   Create a wiki page for the project and my User page;

     1st June - 7th June

  *   Sumbit a PR for simple bugfix to the official repository [2];
  *   Update of the proposal and share the updates with the community;
  *   Study the codebase, start to study and implement some simple unit test;
  *   Prototype the new virtual raster data provider with some basic methods, add the new provider to the provider registry class, start to write some unit test in c++, study the raster calculator class: I've done several commit on the forked repository on my github page so everyone can see what I am doing: it's possible to find the new provider and the test I added as well as all the other minor change I've done to the code so far at [3], in the new branch I've created.

Plans for next week:

  *   Have meetings and confront with mentors;
  *   Work and add methods to the prototyped class I've created;
  *   Add some methods to the unit test I wrote accordingly to the new provider class;
  *   Study the raster calculator classes.

At the moment I'm not blocked on anything in particular. I am open to suggestions and feedback.

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/A_new_render_type_On_the_fly_Raster_Calculator_for_QGIS#17th_May_-_7th_June
[2] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/43469
[3] https://github.com/Franc-Brs/QGIS

Best wishes,