[SoC] GSoC 2021 - Introduction - Ashish Kumar - VRP functionality with VROOM on the database for pgRouting

Ashish Kumar ashishkr23438 at gmail.com
Sat May 22 02:05:39 PDT 2021

Hello everyone,

I introduce myself as Ashish Kumar, a third-year undergraduate student from
IIT (BHU) Varanasi, India pursuing Computer Science and Engineering. I will
be working as a Student Developer with the pgRouting community, under the
OSGeo organization for the Google Summer of Code 2021. I go by the handle
'krashish8' on Github [1], and 'ashishkr23438' on all other online coding
platforms. This is an introductory mail describing my project for GSoC, and
is one of the requirements for the students in the Community Bonding
period, as stated in the mail by the OSGeo GSoC administrators [2].

My project for GSoC 2021 is "VRP functionality with VROOM on the database
for pgRouting" [3], in which I will be implementing the VRP functionality
in the vrprouting repository [4] of pgrouting, using VROOM [5] as a library
in C++. VROOM is an open-source optimization engine, that aims at providing
good solutions to well-known Vehicle Routing Problems (VRP), and therefore,
porting it to vrprouting can help the users use this functionality in the
PostgreSQL database. Any feedback, suggestions, or comments from the
community members on the project idea are welcome so that I can refine my
project accordingly.

As of now, I have completed the following tasks required in the Community
Bonding period:

   - I have created my GSoC project wiki page where I will be regularly
   updating the weekly reports [6].
   - I will be implementing this functionality in the GitHub fork [7] of
   pgRouting’s GSoC-pgRouting’s repository [8], which will be merged to the
   vrprouting repository [4] at the end of this program.
   - I have added the links to the wiki page and the public repository in
   the accepted students' wiki page [9].
   - I have studied Google's GSoC students guide and the OSGeo's specific
   instructions.

Lastly, I would like to thank the OSGeo as well as the pgRouting community,
for giving me this opportunity. I had participated in the GSoC program last
year with pgRouting, which was an exciting experience, and I hope that
participating in the program this year would be more exciting than the
previous year.

Thank you,
Ashish Kumar.

[1] https://github.com/krashish8/ <https://github.com/krashish8/>