[SoC] Week 2 Report: Integrating Node.js with ZOO-services

Momtchil Momtchev momtchil at momtchev.com
Sat Jun 25 12:18:01 PDT 2022

Hello,

Here is my report for Week 2:
Week dedicated to the work originally scheduled for Week 3

* Significant and unexpected setback: embedded versions of Node.js do
not support interaction with the JS environment through Node-API, only
through raw V8 primitives that are linked to a specific Node.js / V8 version

* Submitted a PR to the Node.js team:
https://github.com/nodejs/node/pull/43542
    - I have been pointed to an old discussion with no decision:
https://github.com/nodejs/node/issues/23265
    - Waiting for a decision from the Node.js team

* The JS/C++ object conversion that depends on the Node.js PR is
currently waiting to be merged in a branch:
https://github.com/mmomtchev/ZOO-Project/tree/work
    - If the PR goes through in its current form, that will be the best
outcome
    - If the API is substantially modified, ZOO-Project will be modified
accordingly
    - If the PR does not get merged at all, I will provide a forked
libnode with this feature in my Ubuntu/Debian PPA

Next week will be dedicated to the creating of the Ubuntu/Debian PPA for
libnode.

--
Cordialement,
Momtchil Momtchev <momtchil at momtchev.com>