[OSGeo-Standards] OWS-5 Agile Geography - KML 3 (more open than most)

Andrew Turner ajturner at highearthorbit.com
Thu Aug 23 10:04:03 EDT 2007

On 8/23/07, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Lorenzo Becchi wrote:
> > - how long will WMS/WFS/SLD/WMC survive before KML will be adopted by
> > main FOSS implementations (es: GeoServer/OpenLayers) ?
> > - does it make sense to think that adopting the future KML will be the
> > natural end of WMS/SLD/WMC/WFS?
>
> Lorenzo,
>
> Honestly I'm surprised when I see questions like this.  To me it
> seems more likely that KML will eat the low end applications of GML,
> stifling it's adoption but I don't see how KML replaces WMS and WFS.
>
> Perhaps I fail to grok how KML will solve all the webs problems with one
> simple feature format that includes a few representation features.

You're correct Frank. KML (as I understand it) isn't aiming to become
the end-all-be-all of Geographic Web Standards. It is the
entry-level/simple version that allows non-geo-specific devs to build
geo capabilities. And also provide simple styling to geographic data
when WMS would be overkill.

--
Andrew Turner
ajturner at highearthorbit.com      42.2774N x 83.7611W