[OSGeo-Standards] Simple Text Format For Transfer of Simple Spatial Features (Killing the GML 3 Beast)

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Aug 29 18:02:39 EDT 2007

Do look at the SimpleFeature profile and what ESRI did to make GML3
"useful". Out of your list [3] is in contradiction with [1]... unless
you want to use a hack I though of. Make a generic spatial index that
tracks file offsets, use this to "filter" an input stream of your simple
format (text?) (jumping around the file as needed) presenting the result
as a flat stream that can be parsed in a simple manner. It will be
murder to keep that index udpated.

You also left out one; do you need to edit the file? If so fixed length
records is a good thing ...  and so on. You can see why most projects
are taking an embeded database (making a file format is so 70s).

Cheers,
Jody