[OSGeo-Standards] OGC Meeting in Stresa, Italy and some additional infos

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Wed Dec 5 08:59:42 EST 2007

Hi Standards,

next week the OGC will meet in Stresa, Italy. I know that Jeroen and Jo are coming, I will be there too. Anybody else coming?

At the FOSS4G BoF in Victoria Raj presented a new membership type "individual independet developer" and announced that OGC will kindly provide for 10 slots to be used by OGSeo members. As the BoF was not well attended and I never got around tio writing this email followed up we did not make use of this possibility yet. Jo will be the first to opt in to the OGC meeting through this mechanism and I can imagine that over time others will want to join in. I have prepared some information wrt the OGC membership slots in the Wiki.
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Standards

If you are interested please read through that page, check whether conditions apply to you and contact me through this list or directly to work out the details.

To get a better overview I have created a Category:Standards page, please use it to tag relevant pages.

We might want to create a committee some day to organize the formal communication with the OGC as an organization. The current low level of interest by OSGeo members does not justify this effort yet but maybe some day it will. In the meantime if you need anything from, for or against OGC feel free to contact me. (Jeroen Ticheler,  Jo (zool) Walsh and Michael Gerlek might also be happy to talk to you but I did not ask them yet). I currently act as Planning Committee representative of the WhereGroup, member of the Architecture Board, in the Security WorkGroup and will give an intro to RESTful design in the Technical Sub Committee REST next week. No wonder that I don't get anything else done anymore...

Chris Schmidt asked for the OGC Tiled WMS discussion paper on IRC yesterday. For some technical / procedural reasons it is not yet available publicly yet (ask Carl for details) but it sits on my box here and I am authorized to give it to interested parties.

Best regards,
Arnulf.