[OSGeo-Standards] OGC Meeting in Stresa, Italy and some additional infos

Raj Singh rsingh at opengeospatial.org
Thu Dec 6 15:00:33 EST 2007

This Fall OGC's intellectual property policies changed. Previously,
walking into a TC meeting meant agreeing to blanket intellectual
property terms for everything discussed in any room. We now have a
more fine-grained opt-in policy enabled by having two distinct types
of working groups -- domain WGs and standards WGs. Domain WGs discuss
market requirements but don't write standards docs. I believe the only
time people need to sign anything regarding intellectual property is
when entering a standards WG. There's probably still an expectation
that some things aren't discussed as OGC "policy" if it's just
something mentioned in a meeting -- kind of like the disclaimer about
"forward-looking statements" you see in financial documents <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-looking_statement
 >.
---
Raj