[OSGeo-Standards] the wide world of standards bodies

Carl Reed OGC Account creed at opengeospatial.org
Wed Nov 21 11:51:58 EST 2007

Jo -

First, let me start by saying that I totally agree with and support your
desire that the "different communities be more interconnected as ultimately
we are all trying to do more or less the same thing in more or less the same
way, e.g. encourage more data and software interoperability through clear
guidelines based on solid design".

To that end, my following comments are focused on the fact that there is
already a fair amount of interconnection. Obviously, there is always room
for improvement and collaboration between the communities. This issue is
something OGC staff have invested a considerable amount of time in over the
years and why OGC staff are involved in the standards work being done in
OASIS, the IETF, ISO, NENA, and other organizations.

The OGC has had and continues to have a strong and vibrant relationship with
the European geospatial community. For over eight years, the OGC and OGC
members in Europe have worked collaboratively on a number of Framework
activities, such as ORCHESTRA, GMES, SANY, and INSPIRE. Check out the GMES
site http://www.gmes.info/180.0.html for links to a number of EC projects
that the OGC community has been involved in.

As a result of this multi-year collaboration, there is great uptake of OGC
standards in Germany, Spain, France, Denmark, Norway, the UK, and other
European countries. For example, the Danish SDI is built using OGC, ISO,
OASIS, and other international standards. Other examples are Northrhine
Westphalia SDI in Germany, the National Dutch Water Authority (my English
translation), and the Catalonia SDI.

As you know, in many European procurements there is often the requirement to
use ISO standards. The same is true in other regions of the world. This is
why the OGC has maintained a Class A liaison agreement with ISO for many
years. Under this agreement, the OGC can submit OGC member approved
standards into the ISO process as joint work projects. This is how WMS,
Simple Features, and GML have all become ISO International Standards. WFS is
currently in the joint ISO/OGC process.

As to the IETF, I have been working as a participant in the GeoPRIV WG for
almost 4 years. There are now a number of internet RFCs and draft internet
standards that require the mandatory use of a GML application schema for
expressing a location payload (what they call a location object). Check out
something called PIDF-LO. SIP, ECRIT, RADIUS, LoST, and HELD all reference
the Location Object (LO) and state the use of the GML application schema for
expressing "geodetic" location.  I also collaborated with the IETF community
on specifying how location can be encoded as part of a DHCP packet. The IETF
work that requires the use of location is being driven by the
telecommunications, emergency services, and location services industries.

Finally, in response to your statement regarding the ability to "match the
lobbying  power and influence of the likes of Google, ESA etc". I recently
wrote a blog posting about standards development and balance of interest.
One of the OGC policies is that all member organizations gets one vote on
any motion brought before a Working Group. So, when a document is being
discussed in a Working Group, a University member gets one vote, an open
source member gets one vote, a fortune 500 company member gets one vote and
so forth. Further, any member can raise issues and objections at any time in
the document approval process. Finally, there is an OGC Review Board. Any
member at any time can bring a process issue before the Review Board for
consideration. These processes are in place to insure balance of interest
and to abide by anti-trust regulations. A strong balance of interest policy
is the hallmark of a viable and open consensus standards process.

If anyone has any questions about the work of the OGC and the activities we
and the OGC members are involved in, please let me know.

Best Regards

Carl Reed
CTO
OGC