[OSGeo-Standards] Inline GML? Good idea poorly executed

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Oct 24 12:54:40 EDT 2007

I find it consistent with inline GML for SLD; but I also hated it there
as well :-) For a while SLD was being hacked up really badly, when they
added inline GML and additional WFS connections becomes a really bad
"context" document. Basically trying to slave an external WMS to draw
content and messing up several clear standards in the process.

My thought was always to:
- have a good context document; purpose is to describe a Map
- have a good style document; similar to FeatureTypeStyle wrapped up as
a document

I made some progress in OWS-3; perhaps with these new personal OGC
memberships I can make some more.

Now before I rant too much; the method was wrong (tyring to take short
cuts by trying to complicate several otherwise innocent specifications).
The motivation GML is however very clear; this is a real need of the
user community (so much so they have tried to inflict it on us several
times).

I always like to have a working assumption on where these standards
should go; so they still interlock together nicely. As such I am still
searching for a good spot for this inline GML need - inspiration if you
will. A zipfile with a context document manifest? Should it be limited
to GML? These are all good questions - let's get context document
working first.
Jody