[OSGeo-Standards] OGC Tiled WMS Discussion Paper

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Sep 7 10:47:27 EDT 2007

Folks,

I was contacted by Edric Keighan about a discussion paper that was
recently submitted to OGC (with Cubewerx as the editor) titled:

   07-057r2 OpenGIS Tiled WMS Discussion Paper

I believe it is roughly comparible in goals to this work:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WMS_Tile_Caching

I believe Edric is interested in feedback on the paper and support for the
proposal (for those of us who are OGC members) and perhaps more importantly
he is interested in implementations of the specification within our projects
with OpenLayers being the most obvious candidate.

I believe he has also contacted Cameron Shorter who is an OGC member and
who is directly involved with OpenLayers.  I'm hoping that Cameron will
review the paper and perhaps compare and contrast with the WMS Tile Caching
spec at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/WMS_Tile_Caching

I haven't been to involved in the tiling spec in the past, so I'm going to
mostly back out of this discussion now, but I wanted to ensure everyone is
aware of what is going on, and that we open up some discussion.

Anyone wanting to contact Edric can do so at the email in the cc:.

Best regards,