[OSGeo-Standards] Report from last OGC Technical Committee Meeting in St. Louis

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Tue Apr 8 11:21:17 EDT 2008

Hi All,
I have put together a report from the last OGC Technical Meeting held in
St. Louis, US a week and half ago. Well, to be honest, I did not put it
together myself. It is a lot better than that; After some discussion we
(that is OGC and me-trying-to-represent-OSGeo-at-large-ha-ha) could find
a common ground between weighing membership privilege (knowing some
stuff earlier) and connecting to the outside (or is it the inside?) by
making a summary of the meeting available publicly. This is way better
than any of us OSGeo folks trying to hack all that is said during the
meetings to IRC. Additionally I do not run danger of spilling news that
is not supposed to be spilled publicly (I sometimes develop a genetic
deficiency in differentiating).

Find the link here:
http://www.ogcnetwork.net/node/381

And thanks to Carl for editing it to suit our needs!

If you explore that link it is named "learn" and I imagine that we could
use it for more thoroughly connecting our sometimes adjacent spatial
worlds. Another suggestion that is being discussed is whether an RSS
feed that alerts new Discussion papers going public would help rid us of
some of the problems that we experienced with the latest OGC web map
tiling papers. A public comments mailing list that is easy to find and
to post to is also in discussion. Mind me - OGC is also staffed
sparingly, so this might take some time. And they definitely don't have
any members help them do the dirty administration stuff as we do have in
OSGeo (another Kudos to SAC!) this is one of our advantages...

Seems like there is more to come, hopefully we will see some more
collaboration on this path.

Best regards,
Arnulf.